Australian offer over Fiji base beats China‘s

It‘s been revealed that Australia successfully blocked China from funding a major regional mililtary base in Fiji.

The Fiji military has told The Australian newspaper that Australia “played its cards right” trumping China‘s bid.

Australian Army Cpl. Teome Matamua and Sgt. Phillip McIllvaney, 176th Air Dispatch Squadron loadmasters, deliver the first low-cost, low-altitude bundle of Operation Christmas Drop 2015 to the island of Mogmog, Dec. 8, 2015. Photo: U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. Katrina Brisbin

Last month Australia and Fiji jointly announced the Black Rock military base in Nadi was to be redeveloped as a regional hub for police and peacekeeping training.

The Fiji Military Forces‘ chief staff officer for co-ordination, Captain Eroni Duaibe, has told The Australian China had had an interest in Black Rock for quite a while.

He told the paper it seemed Australia had played their cards right in terms of tabling a holistic offer, something that China was a bit reluctant over.

He said Australia‘s offer was not only around developing infrastructure but also providing expertise and training of troops.