Students fall seriously ill after eating school lunch

Students from Ban Khok Pae School in Muang district at Khon Kaen 2 Hospital on Thursday after becoming ill overnight. (Photo by Chakkrapan Natanri)

KHON KAEN: Thirty-four students were taken to hospital after they began began vomiting and suffering from diarrhea overnight after eating the lunch provided at their school on Wednesday.

The students, aged 6-15, attend Ban Khok Pae School in Muang district.

Thursday morning‘s classes were cancelled while they were examined and treated at Khon Kaen 2 Hospital.

Acting hospital director Rati-orn Pornkuna said 27 students were later allowed to go home. The seven others were kept in and their condition was being closely monitored by staff.

Their parents suspected the Hainan chicken rice or the milk served for their lunch on Wednesday at the school was the cause of the illness.

“My 11-year-old grandson felt sick around midnight and he was not getting better,” said Anong Singkhampong.

Dr Rati-orn said it was too soon to blame the food or milk, although they had all eaten the same meal. The source of the infection would be identified, she said.